Thursday, July 14, 2011

First Package!

Friday, July 8th, was filled with errands.  Mom, Ben, and I stopped for lunch at Jimmy John's and then headed to Bed Bath and Beyond, Dierberg's, Petco, and a few other stores.  Right as we were pulling out of the driveway, the mailman had delivered a package addressed to me, but I couldn't open it because I was driving, so Ben grabbed it and put it in the back seat.

When we got home, I grabbed the package, which turned out to be from Ashley Marsh!!! It was a beautiful banana paper journal, handpainted bookmark, and tiny wooden box from Costa Rica, and a sweet, heartfelt note that made me cry. :) She just got back from her first missions trip there with the Spanish group from Providence.  I had gone last summer and the summer before with the group and love it there, and she was so thoughtful and brought me back some of my favorite things from there. :)

First Package!

What could be inside?

Gifts from Costa Rica!

Banana paper journal

Wooden box- blue morpho butterfly :)
Handpainted bookmark





Thank you Ashley! You made my day! :)
Ashley, if you're reading this, I hope you don't mind that you're now in the blog. :) Thank you for the gift! A thank you note is coming your way in the mail soon. :) Love you!!

That was, by far, the highlight of my day.  It doesn't seem like much, but even a small package is really encouraging, because I'm still really struggling with feeling lonely and the whole moving thing.  Nothing will ever replace the Florida gang.

Mom and Dad had planned to go on a date Friday night, and Ben and I were going to stay home and have frozen pizza.  Dad was tense when he got home, and I was speaking really loudly in the kitchen, unaware that he was on an important call in the living room.  He yelled at me, and I got ticked off, and what started as both of us being annoyed turned into an argument and me spilling some pent up emotions from the move and the past week.  I wasn't in the mood to discuss things and how to get more acquainted here though, so the argument didn't end well.  Dad cancelled their dinner reservations, and I felt horrible.  I hadn't intended to ruin their evening, nor had I intended to even get all emotional and upset about moving and senior year and everything.  I took some time alone in my room, and dad did the same.  Mom popped a frozen pizza in the oven.  Even though I messed up their original plans, Mom still took dad out after things had calmed back down, so I was relieved that they still got to go out.  Ben and I had some frozen pizza and started to watch Marley and Me.  Mom and Dad called just as we were starting the movie and asked if we wanted shakes from Silky's, the custard spot near the house.  They brought us both small chocolate shakes.  They ended up having a good time at dinner, and I ended up having a good time with Ben at home, so I was thankful I didn't totally destroy the evening.  All Dad said when they got home was, "You're a stinker sometimes."  To which I said, "I know. I'm sorry." and then he gave me a raspberry. :)

Amy Grant said it perfectly when she sung:
"Sometimes we make it harder than it is
We'll take a perfect night
And fill it up with words we don't mean
Dark sides best unseen
And we wonder why we're feeling this way

Sometimes I wonder if we really feel the same
Why we can be unkind
Questioning the strongest of hearts
That's when we must start
Believing in the one thing that has gotten us this far

That's what love is for
To help us through it
That's what love is for
Nothing else can do it
Melt our defenses
Bring us back to our senses
Give us strength to try once more
That's what love is for."
-That's What Love Is For

Even though all my friends who helped me through moving and saying goodbye are now 900 miles away, I have to remember that my family isn't 900 miles away and is still here, and we're all here to help each other through the emotions of moving and starting a new life here, and the fact that we'll love each other no matter what is important in this move.

So although I was struggling with all those emotions and still am, the night turned out alright after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment