Thursday, July 14, 2011

Six Flags and Toby Mac

Saturday, July 9th, began with walking the dogs, and then mom, Ben, and I headed to the YMCA for about an hour.

Later that afternoon, the St. Johns invited us to join them at Six Flags.  They were going to go a few hours before the Toby Mac concert so they could ride a few things.  Ben and dad had just left to go to the shooting range when they called, and mom had a few things she wanted to get done around the house, so I was the only one who ended up going.

When we got to the park, Lindsay and I split up and did a few things on our own.  She loves roller coasters, but I'm not much of a fan. :)  I told her I didn't mind watching her ride some of the ones she wanted to go on, but she was really sweet about it and found some things for both of us to do.  The first thing we did was River King Mine Train, a milder roller coaster.  I said yes before I could argue against myself when she asked if I wanted to go on it.  It's always frustrating when you don't like roller coasters because you never want to be the one who disappoints the group.  So, despite my nervous feelings standing in line, I got on and survived. :)  It wasn't too bad.  I'm not afraid of roller coasters or anything, it's just that it's not a pleasurable experience for me to ride them.

On our way to another ride on the other side of the park, I suggested we ride the Ferris wheel.  I felt kind of bad because the wait in line ended up being longer than it looked, and we only went around twice before the next group of people was herded on behind us.  The breeze at the top was a nice break from the sticky heat though.

Our next ride was Shazam! Scrambled.  It's basically 16 cabs, 4 to a beam, that rotate around while launching you through the middle of the circular arena, creating a sort of star pattern over and over again.  The only problem is, you look like you're going to be smacked into 3 other cabs and the main support beam for the ride each time you go across, and then you're suddenly jolted to a stop at the other side of the area.  To some people, this is incredibly exhilarating and fun, but to me, it was neither of those things. :) I just closed my eyes and remembered to breathe, and tried not to think about the lurching back and forth. :) I felt bad that I didn't enjoy it though, because Lindsay had thought i would like it.  I'm pretty much a whimp when it comes to the thrill kinds of rides.  By the time we finished the ride, it was time to meet the rest of the group back at the front of the park for dinner.

We packed sandwiches and fruit to eat out at the car, and then mom, dad, and Ben arrived and joined up with us right before the concert started.  Toby Mac was a great concert, and we all enjoyed it despite the heat.  We drank limeade to try and cool down a little bit, since we were packed in with lots of other sweating, sticky people (eew). :)

After the concert, we went around to a few of the major coasters, because Scott, Courtney, and Mr. and Mrs. St. John weren't able to ride anything before dinner because of the wait times.  The good thing was that they got "fast passes" for 4 of the rides because of Scott's cast, so they had no problem getting on after the concert.  Ben got to join them, and now the Superman tower (a straight drop) is his favorite ride at the park.

On our way home, mom and dad treated the whole gang to Silky's (it's quickly becoming a popular spot). :)  My vanilla custard with cookie dough bits was the perfect cool treat to the hot day. :)

**There are no pictures for this post (sorry!)- it was way too hot to lug around a camera, and it would have been a problem anyways since I went on a few rides. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment